Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Ohio Tradition


I'm not particularly in favor of hunting, although as a child growing up in rural North Carolina guns were certainly part of the process and nine years in the Marines gave me lots of opportunities to handle some fairly serious weapons. I don't object to hunting and I know that my Sister and her family have created a tradition around Thanksgiving and deer season. They dress everything they kill and they eat vension year round. Thiswas my nephew's first kill of this season and one of many that they managed to land this year. That is relatively unusual from all accounts. I have heard of seasons past when no deer were taken or at most one or two, so this season seems to have been quite productive. I think for my sister Mary and her family the real joy comes from the gathering of relatives who visit them each Thanksgiving to partake in the this Ohio tradition. I have never managed to join them so far, but who knows? Perhaps next year with a camera instead of a gun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I would not say that. You have partcipated a few years ago. We just did not catch anything because we were to busy chasing a deer John hit and run all of us around the bush. LOVE YA! PDG the 2nd.