Thursday, November 16, 2006

Basketball & Scouts


An interesting day spent mostly on catching up on expenses from my previous employment. Need to get them done and in the system before the end of the month, but the Lord knows I hate paperwork, especially expenses. Why can't they invent a credit card that allows you to record everything automatically so you don't spend hours and hours trying to figure out all the details of each item? I guess I'm just going to have to learn to do these things on a regular basis.

We had basketball practice tonight and the real coach showed up with his son, who can drill it from about 15 feet out and is pretty darn good on the boards. I could see the difference almost immediately in the way the kids responded to his approach, which was far more disciplined than mine. Moreover, the practice was more effective and the kids played much better during the scrimmage. I guess it helps if you know what you're doing.

Afterwards we all walked across to the boy scouts Fall Festival. Our boys are all cub scouts, but they graduate to the boy scouts next year and we are getting them ready for the big move. It occurred to me as I wandered around chatting with all the Dads and Moms who had organized the Fall Festival and the Dads who had just coached basketball that this really is a wonderful community. I chatted with Frank Bell, the CEO of Intellinet, who was doing his duty for the evening and Leigh Mayerson, the guidance counselor at Sarah Smith (who also happens to be the real coach I referenced earlier)and so many others. People working together to ensure our children have all the opportunities that we were given......and it does take a community to make it happen. It makes me proud to be a part of this neighborhood.

The photo is a shot of the approach to the Wintergreen Winery just outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. A great place to hang out and drink some wine!

No comments: