Thursday, November 02, 2006

50+

Did you know that two-thirds of all the people who ever reached the age of 65 are alive today? Did you also that the fastest growing segment of the population is those 85 and over?

There are 78 million baby boomer's, the oldest of whom just turned 60 this year and the youngest 42. One baby boomer reaches the age of 50 every 7.5 seconds, which adds up to 4 million every single year

You can read about the 50+ revolution by picking up a copy of Bill Novelli's book, "50+...Igniting a Revolution to Reinvent America" with an interesting forward by Steve Case. Bill is the CEO OF AARP and therefore has an interest in those of us that have qualified for the 50+ club.

I'm 56 and Kate is 41. We have have an 8 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. I have more iTunes than any parent I know and I am constantly impressing my kids by introducing them to artists that recorded 20+ years ago. But you know what? They like the music and they think it is cool, which of course is very cool! Who knows, Kate and I may not be done with having kids yet. Heck, my Dad was 60 years old when I was born and he was 65 when my brother Jim was born. My Mom was 29 years younger than my Dad and we just never thought much of it until he got into his 80's and because of his heart condition he went downhill pretty fast and died at the age of 83......he was a devout catholic and a democrat and while he wasn't necessarily the greatest or best Dad ever, he was my Dad and I loved him. Age never seemed to bother him and he worked harder at 83 (he had a massive heart attack at work at the age of 83 still putting two kids through college) than many of the kids that worked in the firm I just left. He never moaned about the injustice of the system.....he just constantly tried to figure out how to make the system work for him. He was an entrepreneur before anyone knew what that word meant and he was respected in the community. I was proud to be his son and now that folks are beginning to recognize that age is not a factor in life the way it was in the 50's, I am reminded of that hard working man who got up everyday and somehow managed to support and educate seven kids. Jack Gaul was his name and he remains my role model for life! Born in 1889 and orphaned at the age of 11, he left school and went to work to support his Aunt and Sister. He was a self-taught man and an avid reader. Gosh, he read everything and was so current that I was often amazed how he could engage any conversation........he worried far too much during my time in Vietnam and the greatest hug I have ever received in my life was the night I got back and my Dad embraced me. He was both proud of me and thankful that I was home without any major damage. That was the Christmas of '69. Patrick Jr. was born in July of '72....his first grandson with the name Gaul......he died less than a year later, but not without holding the next generation of Gaul's and I think that made him very happy. I hug my grandson, Patrick David Gaul the 3rd and I know what my Dad felt..........

No comments: