Thursday, November 09, 2006

What a Week!

Okay, so I had the Men's Club meeting on Monday evening and then on Tuesday evening I attended an invitation only CEO dinner at Yum & Ross Arnold's home in Mid-Town Atlanta. Their home is quite impressive and has a very comfortable lived-in feeling. You know, sometimes you go into a big house and that's about all it turns out to be........a big house. This was a home, warm and friendly with lots of pictures and an air of children and family. I loved the way they catered it as well. Instead of pulling in a bunch of stuffed shirts they arranged to have food delivered from Whole Foods, put it on their own dishes and served everything buffet style. Again, there was a sense of familiarity with everyone sitting on couches and chairs, eating and really getting to know one another. I sat with Kelly Gay and Patrick Taylor and by the time we had finished our meal I knew more about Kelly and Patrick than I would have ever learned at the Hi-Tech CEO Council or TechLinks "Let's Do Business" or any other networking venue. Not that any of the networking venues are ineffective.........it was just that extra feeling of comfort that comes from being in someones home and feeling welcomed. After the dinner we had sat together with coffee and dessert and discussed a number of critical issues that were submitted prior to the event by all of us. All in all, an outstanding evening. I got lots of advice and lots of reassurance from everyone about the job situation and while no one offered me a job, I did get a number of suggestions and tips that should serve me well in the coming weeks. Hat's off to Yum and Ross for a lovely evening.

No comments: