Thursday, November 23, 2006

Competition

Okay, I admit it. I'm a basketball fan! ACC, NBA, PAC10, SEC, BIG10, it just doesn't matter. I'm hooked. My favorite teams in order are UNC/Chapel Hill, the Atlanta Hawks, the Lakers, Georgia Tech, Virginia and the Chicago Bulls. Carolina and the Hawks rank over all the others and I'll root for them on any given night. Of course they don't always win, especially the Hawks, who have had a couple of disappointing seasons to say the least. But with season tickets and two seats on the floor I can't help but enjoy the game, win or lose. You see, I just like the competition. Basketball to me is like a lot of things we encounter in life. It has incredible highs and some fairly serious lows......it is a game of strategy and tactics and knowing when and how to deploy your bench. It takes confidence to play the game and it takes courage as well, especially when you are hurt and not feeling your best. And of course it is a game that mostly depends on the five guys on the floor playing together as a team. Superstars are welcome and often needed, but it is the team that consistently wins the day. Last night I watched Carolina play Gonzaga at Madison Square Garden and although Carolina jumped out to a commanding early lead I could see that it would not last because they weren't playing as a team. Carolina is blessed this year with an incredible group of talented young men, but it was Gonzaga, a team without its top two stars from last year that played like a team, remained patient and walked in the locker room at halftime with the lead, a lead they never surrender in the second half. So the 22nd ranked team in the nation knocks off the number 2 ranked team. Competition! I love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We see some weakness.. Can't see UNC making it back to the big dance!!!

What is your new email address?