Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Okay, I'm Really Confused Now

I am still trying to figure out why folks get directed to a advertising site when they type in www.elliesdad.blogpost.com. Someone suggested I ping the site, which I did and discovered that it is redirected to ad.funnel.revenuedirect.com.akadns.net. Now, I don't know if that is something that The Blogger did automatically or if my site has been kidnapped by these guys. I also don't know how to fix it. I sent an email to the support group this morning asking for some assistance and I guess I'll hear back from them at some point. As the guy in charge of a web hosting company I really understand the importance of having real support on line when there is a problem and therefore we operate a 7x24 tech support group that is mostly based here in Atlanta. We roll over to our parent from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m., but the calls are still be answered and the requests are managed on a real-time basis. It's been a strange day........We had a spammer that caused one of our Linux servers to be blacklisted by the spam cops. Pain in the but because outbound spam from a shared server is very difficult to pinpoint, especially since the spam cops won't tell you anything more than the IP address that has created the spam. That would be helpful if all the customers on that server didn't share the same IP address......Okay, you add filters, but then that creates a whole new set of problems because one mans spam is another mans permission based marketing campaign. Bugger, I hate these kind of issues because they eat up a lot of sysadmin time and create customer dissatisfaction and cost money to fix. Spam is such a pain the butt! On a nicer note I got to have lunch with a business development guy from Register.com today. A very nice chap and we had an excellent conversation about the web hosting industry and all the very neat things happening today in our space. It was enough to almost make me forget the spamming situation, at least for a few minutes. Lots of conference calls today......I'm get tired of talking and just want some time to think. I suppose that is why I'm such a night-owl.......I would stay up all night if things were a bit different. The house is quiet, my energy level is really high and my focus is probably at its strongest. Odd I know, but that is how I tick. Have a great evening folks.

No comments: