Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Getting Old Has Its Drawbacks

Just got back from the eye doctor where I discoverd that the problem I have been experiencing over the past two weeks with burred vision in my left eye stems from the fact that the jelly inside of my eye actually pulled away from the lining of the eye and managed to take a piece of my retina with it. So now, the jelly and piece of retina are floating inside of my eye and is causing the blurrring. Unfortunately, there isn't a bloody thing the Doctor can do to repair it. It will shrink over time, but never actally go completely away and he chalks it all up to advanced youth (I think he was trying a bit of humor on me). What's worse is that he thinks it will probably also happen to my right eye eventually. Of course, you have couple this with the fact that I somehow managed to tear my rotator cuff a few weeks ago and will probably need some surgical intervention. Just not the body I was hoping for at this age. Kind of reminds me of a book I read earlier this year called "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurwzeil. You really have to read to understand, but basically he is a futurist that talks about the merging of technology and biology to improve the quality of our lives by making our bodies stronger as we get older. For example, a person might have nanobots running around their bloodstream looking for diease and eliminating it before it can take hold. Bionic limbs would be available as well as memory implants to help us during the aging process. It is really very cool stuff.......do read the book or visit his site at kurzweilai.net.

No comments: