Sunday, April 29, 2007

PBS Special Today

Okay, so I get it. Essentially, we were led down a path by the Bush Administration that could only end up in our invading Iraq. The majority of the media, politicians and military leadership all allowed President Bush to convince them that he was right and that for various reasons (another 9/11, stability in the Middle East, oil revenue, weapons of mass destruction)it was this country's responsibility to sort things out over there. George Tenet said absolutely nothing that I'm aware of that would would have led anyone to believe his intelligence community was being used by the White House although others clearly questioned the reports, especially in Europe where I was living at the time.

All in all it was a very interesting report, but entirely based on a lens looking through the rear view window. I don't think that I learned anything new and while it was historically relative, it didn't show me how we are going to fix this situation. Where's the solution? I got it that Bush manipulated things and I got it that most everyone was unwilling to stand up and argue the toss, but what I don't get is how we are going to address the realities facing this country. Saying we have had enough and don't want to play anymore isn't a solution anymore than believing that the situation can be reversed with more troops. Neither Party is looking at this problem with a solution oriented lens.

Reality 1: Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey and Israel are all participants in one fashion or the other and all have to be involved in securing a settlement.

Reality 2: George Bush and his administration have no international credibility and cannot lead the region to a negotiated settlement. This is a lame duck President, nationally and internationally.

Reality 3: We cannot, as a nation, continue to incur the costs of this conflict, either in terms of the lives that are being lost or the financial burden it is placing on us in the years to come.

Reality 4: While the politicians pose and position themselves for 2008 our troops are dying and more will die if we don't end this thing.

Reality 5: We can't just pull out of the region and leave the Kurds and Sunni's to fend for themselves. I don't want that much blood on this country's hands. Do you? Plus, what do you think Iran and Syria are going to do once we pull out?

I read a comment that Hilary made with respect to Bill's role in her administration should she be elected. Well, I don't think this country will elect her (that is not to say that I don't think she is qualified to be President....I just don't believe she will get elected), but I do think that her plan for Bill is intriguing. In fact, I think it is exactly what we need right now along with Jimmy and George Sr.

Hear me out here folks. Bill and George Sr. have formed quite a comfortable working relationship through their efforts on Katrina. Jimmy would have immediate credibility with the Arab world based on his balanced view towards Israel. Put the three together and ask them to help the nation find a way out of the crisis. Give them global standing to at least negotiate for the country and send them on a mission to get us out of there. I know it sounds a lot like that film with the old astronauts who traveled to the asteroid to save the world by blowing it up before it entered our atmosphere, but don't completely dismiss the analogy. Perhaps some elder statesmen without an immediate political agenda is exactly what we need to find a solution. And while Bill is obviously connected to 2008 through Hilary I don't think he would refuse to participate and be part of the team that negotiates our future in the Middle East. Moreover, I think he may be the brightest of the three and perhaps the most intelligent President we have seen in a very long time. He has national credibility (no one really thinks his personal affairs are especially important anymore given the current administration....do they?)and certainly global credibility!

Worth a thought anyway because I haven't seen a single plan without serious drawbacks on one level or the other and time is getting short folks. We need to find a solution that works for all the parties engaged in this conflict.

Finally, I have to apologize for not staying the course and moving away from politics. I just believe that sometimes you have to say what you feel even if there aren't that many folks listening. Thinking out loud is good for the soul.

No comments: