Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday Afternoon


It's been one of those funny weekends where you sit back on Sunday afternoon and wonder what you accomplished. We went to Sarah and Glen's last night for their first Bar-B-Que of the year and to celebrate Glen's birthday. Glen is the CEO of a major division of a Fortune 500, but you would never know it by the way he behaves; i.e.: he is unassuming, seems to put his ego aside at these gatherings (I suspect he is a tad different at work) and is just a genuinely nice guy. I always manage to have a delightful time, drink far too much and wake up wishing I'd been a bit more careful. I also wish I had taken my camera as it would have been nice to get a few pictures for my diary.

Anyway, after a late breakfast I sat down at desk and I'm still here. I've been working on finding a job as it appears that Patrick D. Gaul, Inc. is not going to be as financially rewarding as I had first hoped, at least not the short run. After reviewing the bank balances I recognize that I am going to have to jump back into the market, which is really okay since I've had a good break and I'm really rested and ready for another opportunity. I'm leaning towards a senior sales position as opposed to finding another CEO opportunity because at the end of the day it is what I really enjoy; it is what I'm talented at doing; and it is a role that has always provided enormous satisfaction. Finally, and probably most important, I like selling. I just created a Squidoo Lens, which you can find by going to www.squidoo.com/successfulselling. It is is my sidebar of links. Take a look and be sure to leave a message about what you think. I'm really interested in any feedback.

Tough week with the Virginia Tech coverage dominating the airwaves. I think sometimes you just have to give folks some space, and this is one of those times. I pray for the families and hope the good Lord gives them comfort, and I pray that no one makes any assumptions about Asians because the kid who did this evil thing was born in South Korea. He was obviously a very sick person and it is so unfortunate that no one was able to do something to help him. I do believe however that we need to think seriously about how guns are purchased in this country and make a concerted effort to create a rigid set of standards that are applied on a national basis. We should require a license to own a gun and that license should be no different from a drivers license in that certain criteria must be met before the license is issued. You know, having to go to a "Department of Firearms Safety" and register for a course in gun safety before being allowed to purchase the weapon would be an interesting approach. It might slow a lot of people down and cause a bit of grief with the gun lobby, but it might also give us an opportunity to observe someone before they are handed a weapon capable of destroying human lives.

Nothing on the political front worth discussing this week. I'm learning more about John Edwards and liking what I'm learning, especially some of the things he has written recently about the environment. I saw Tom Friedman on this morning's talk shows........I think he is coming out with The World Is Flat, Version 3.0. He had some very interesting things to say about the environment and has a documentary coming out this week on the Discovery Channel. I need to record it assuming I get the Discovery Channel.

Hope all is well with everyone and that your weekend was not as unproductive as mine, or Joe's for that matter. Poor guy just couldn't keep his eyes open.

No comments: