Sunday, April 15, 2007

Okay, It's Official. I'm Running..............

Yes, after much debate and careful consideration, I've decided to announce my candidacy for the position of President of the United States. You can find my formal posting at www.u4prez.com, where I posted my announcement this evening. Now all I have to do is raise 40 to 50 million dollars, get several thousand signatures on a petition and I'll be in the hunt. I reckon the worst case scenario is I end up as Vice President to one of these "front runners" who want me out of the game so I don't steal a lot of votes. Of course, that won't happen easily as they have to prove they can actually beat me first. Stayed tuned as I'm certain it will be a close race once I get a few million under my belt.

Meanwhile, Mom is out of the hospital and on the mend, albeit slowly. She is after all nearly 89 years old and bouncing back does get harder as the years advance. I spoke with her this afternoon and while she was not having a great day, I did manage to solicit a laugh or two on the subject of children. There has also been emails flying all over the place as our family discusses the latest episode and tries to determine how we engage the situation if things do get worse. The good news is that we are all living longer through the miracle of modern medicine. The bad news is that we are all living longer through...............I'm reminded of something Rosalynn Carter said awhile back: "There are four kinds of people in the world: those who have been caregivers; those who currently are caregivers; those who will be caregivers; and those who need caregivers". My sister Judy and her husband John have been remarkable caregivers over nearly a decade since they agreed to have Mom live with them and our family has done a respectable job of trying to contribute whenever and however possible. It makes me wonder however about those families who don't have the ways or means to help out or even a primary caregiver to lead the charge. We are all getting older and unless one is taking exceptional care of one's health the future could be quite murky.

I wrote a firm letter to the Hawks management today and basically told them that I had lost confidence in their ability to build a successful franchise and that I would not be renewing my season tickets. No response as yet.

I see Mr. Imus bit the dust. Good! Now, let's get a few more of these creeps off the radio waves and perhaps we can lower the hate index a bit, assuming of course that there is a hate index. I mean, we have a doomsday index and environmental gauges...........why not a hate index that measures the tension between the various races in America? I'd be willing to bet that sucker is in the red zone at the moment and bouncing on the "would you believe" zone. Is there actually anything wrong with being polite to one another? I mean, it's okay to disagree and actually it is a pretty healthy sign that the constitution is still alive and well when we disagree. But do we have to call each other so many names in order to validate our point of view? I don't know about you, but my Mom used to wash my mouth out with soap if I used the wrong language as a child. Perhaps that is how we should manage these radio and television shock commentators..........

Okay, must run to watch the Soprano's. Last season you know. Everyone have a delightful evening and I hope you each have a very successful week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat;
I see that you have been busy since we last talked in person. The one thing about running for president in this time frame is that you could do nothing and not do much worse that the current occupant of the office. Oh yes, he did have my support.
Sanjay Gupta has a new book on the market: "Chasing Life". What I have read of it, I find to fit well with some of your observations on healthcare. Instead of buying a copy, wait until I come down in May and I'll loan you mine.
Doesn't my namesake have a birthday coming up soon?
Hate and probably Obcession were likely instruments in the production of the slaughter at Va. Tech.
Keep in coming, I enjoy reading your blogs.
Joe