Saturday, June 02, 2007

Lazy Saturday

I've been absolutely doing nothing today except for a bit of reading and a few minutes of exercise. Nothing wrong with me except perhaps I'm all alone and feeling a bit sad with Kate and the children in Europe for the next six or seven weeks. I need to get up early tomorrow and get some things done including visiting Mom, who is also leaving for the summer to visit my sister Mary in Ohio. Everyone wants to get of Atlanta during the summer, but we are in fact having a fairly nice summer with the exception of the smoke and smog and pollen and screwed-up traffic. We could also use a bit of rain as the grass is turning brown and we dare not water it given the restrictions on watering at the moment.

Watched "The Queen" a short while ago. Great film! Kate and I were living in England when Diana was killed in the auto accident in Paris. We had just woken up and were laying in bed having a cup of tea watching the morning news, except there was no morning news, only a running commentary on Diana. I had just remarked that they should leave the poor girl alone when it dawned on us that something was horribly wrong with the way they were speaking about her; i.e.: in the past tense. The screen then flashed two dates (born and died) and we realized that we were witnessing history. I always liked her even though I knew she was a bit of a drama queen and enjoyed the press whenever it could be used to her advantage. She was hounded however and I suspect that somehow the press did have a hand in the accident. Ten years she has been gone and her lads seem to be growing up to be decent chaps. I think Harry has actually matured since he entered the forces and he seems to be growing into his role in life on his terms. I don't know if they should have kept him out of Iraq, but I'm glad they did even though as a former U.S. Marine I can understand his disappointment at not being given a chance to serve. Wars are where soldiers learn their trade first hand and it is a bitter pill for Harry to swallow. I think he would have created a very high risk for his comrades and for that reason I think it was probably the best decision.

Still reading Al Gore's new book. I'm very impressed and warming more and more to the idea that he just might be the right guy to put in office in 2008. I even spoke with a fairly well heeled Venture Capitalist today at a local bookstore who noted that even though he is a Republican he thinks Al is growing more popular and that no one has really taken off in either party as a national leader. I could not agree more. My thoughts on Hillary are well known. I don't dislike her, but I think she presents far too many problems for the Democrats and that Bill's potential role makes things even more complicated. I don't really like any of the Republicans that are running and I'm getting less and less enamoured with Newt. Too much baggage from my point of view although I do like a lot of his conservative thinking.

Okay, nothing more worth noting this evening.........except our neighbors mentioned that they are having a baby this afternoon. I don't think it was planned, but they seem happy and I guess that is all that matters.

No comments: