Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Interviewing & Dating: Is there really a difference?

So I've been interviewing with this one firm for the past two to three weeks and have come to the conclusion that interviewing is a lot like dating, in that at the end of the day you ultimately want to get closer and have a good relationship......or at least that's true assuming you aren't just out for a brief encounter in which case interviewing is nothing like dating because you would never put yourself through it for a one-night stand. Too much work for too little gratification if you ask me.

I actually have three opportunities that I'm currently engaging and all three have very positive aspects with some minor drawbacks just to keep things balanced. The one that I'm interviewing for is here in Atlanta and that makes it particularly attractive. One of the other positions is in NYC and while it pays very well and is with a top-notch company, the idea of moving to New York is hard to digest. Still, it's a great job and I'd be working with someone that I respect immensely.

The last opportunity is also here in Atlanta, but a contract position that would only last about 6 to 9 months. Again, it pays very well and I'd be working with an old trusted friend and there could be some collateral benefits from working the contract in that I would get serious exposure to a firm that I would like to work for in North Carolina should the opportunity arise. This gig could provide that opportunity.

So, all good opportunities and I'm just going through the process of determining which one is best for me and in which one I'd deliver the most value. I like to think that the two most important issues in any situation are as follows: one, you have to be having fun and two, you got to make a contribution. The absence of either is sufficient to make me want to run away. Does that make sense?

Okay, so back to work. I need to prepare for my next interview. Yep, it's a lot like dating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.