Tuesday, January 09, 2007



Your might be wondering why this kid looks so laid back and comfortable. Well, it's nearly official. I signed the Articles of Incorporation today, paid all the filing fees, and shipped everything off to the appropriate Georgia State government office and by early next week I shall be the proud owner of my own company, Patrick D. Gaul, Inc. True, it's a rather small company at the moment with only one employee and two shareholders (Kate and I split the 1500 shares between us), but it is my company and all I can do is grow from here. I've got a couple of angles I'm working and I reckon if I do eight months of contract work this year and spend the other four focused on building my business I should be able to pay the bills and keep things running. Kate is very close to taking a position with the Atlanta History Museum as their Events Fundraising Manger and between the two of us we ought to be able to keep this family afloat. Wow! I can't believe I'm seriously considering not going back to corporate America and a nine to five gig..........well, actually I've never worked a nine to five job in my life, but you know what I mean. It is a huge decision and even though I had breakfast this morning with my favorite headhunter....sorry, executive recruiter, to discuss an opportunity, my mind is certainly pushing me towards an independent role. Guess the financials will really drive the final decision this year, but I like the fact that I'm gearing up for what eventually has to happen anyway given my age and the current job market.

I saw this afternoon that Teddy Kennedy is threatening to cut off the funds to President and in doing so prevent him from deploying more troops to the frontlines (are there any frontlines in Iraq?). Should result in a very interesting constitutional battle since Bush is the Commander-in-Chief and the initial troop deployment was approved by Congress, which means the Commander-in-Chief gets to determine where to deploy those troops and when. Of course, Teddy is such a hero himself....you know, swimming all those miles to save that poor drowing girl. Good thing he was able to get his support team in town before he visited the police station or he might just be getting out on parole instead of telling the country what we should do in Iraq. Lord, I hate that guy! I suspect the Democrats would have been better off letting another senator take the lead on this one. Teddy just raises too many issues with conservatives and detracts from the real conversation....or at least that is my opinion and we all know about opinions.

Anyway, off to AARP to sign-up for my senior discounts. I'll check in with you folks tomorrow.

No comments: