Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mid-January Already


It seems like just yesterday that I was packing my office and moving on with my life. Now, nearly three months later, it is difficult to assess what has transpired in the interim. The holidays just seemed to fly by and the Technology Summit is only five weeks away and I still don't have a definitive lead on a job although it would be fair to say that several things are incubating at the moment and anyone of them could pop relatively soon. American Idol is back and we have now had four hours of mindless auditions and more commercials that anyone could have imagined could be packed into two programs. My shoulder is killing me (I should have had that operation last year and it would be nearly healed by now) and to make matters just a little more complicated I managed to screw up my back yesterday while attending a Leadership Program at Georgia Tech. I find those auditorium seats most uncomfortable after about 4 hours and I was there from 7:00 a.m. to just after 6:00 p.m. Great program however and now I just want to go back to school. I suppose that is one of my strengths......I'm incredibly curious and have this passion for learning new things. I suppose one would describe me as a generalist. I'm not particularly skilled at any one thing, but my range of skills allow me to slot into any number of positions and at the end of the day that is how I've managed to survive all these years. My Dad used to say it was important to know something about everything and to never be afraid to get your hands dirty. He used to tell me to be open-minded, be curious, and be myself. Smart man, my Dad!

Hawks have won three in a row and are now 13 and 21 on the season. They aren't the worst team in the NBA, but they are certainly still in the cellar. But lots of games left this season and if they can get healthy they are going to surprise a lot of teams.

My weight loss program is moving along. My New Years goal was 25 pounds and I have lost 8 pounds as of this morning. I purchased a rice cooker and I'm doing a lot more stir fry's and curry's. I also made a commitment to stop drinking until I reach my goal. Seventeen days today and not a drop of red wine..........you know I really want to lose the weight if I'm willing to give up red wine!

Spent much of today re-writing my CV and will be writing a cover letter tomorrow morning. Lunch with an old colleague and then it's an afternoon of working on the Summit sponsorship drive followed by basketball practice. Life's good and I'm surrounded by a lot of love. I hope your life is equally cheerful.

A lovely view of the Virginia Mountains as I say Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat;
Great article (mid Jan already).
Literate. Thought my Xmas picture
was "ok". Look forward to reading
the next entry.
Joe