Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Winners & Losers


It would be a tad remiss of me not to take a moment to reflect upon last evening's election results given my propensity for ranting about politics in this country over the past year. I was attending the Thrasher's game at Philips Arena as the guest of Stuart Harvey, the President of Nova Information Systems (thank-you Stuart for a lovely evening), sitting in an upper-deck suite (they are so nice!)and following the elections more closely than the game, which unfortunately the Thrashers managed to lose by a score of 4 to 1.

Anyway, just before the game I was asked by one of the other guests who I thought would win the primary on the Democratic side and I said that I thought it would be a very close race between Hillary and Barack with Barack winning by a narrow margin. Well, at least I got the narrow margin bit right. What a surprising turn of events and what's makes last evening's results even more interesting is the assertion by Mr. Clinton that the press was riding Hillary unfairly and trying to force a certain result that was not necessarily obvious to him or most of her supporters. It turned out that perhaps he was on target and makes me wonder what we can believe going forward about the primaries and how the press presents them to us. Someone should start a grassroots news community focused on gathering real street level information on the pulse of the nation in each of these state primaries. Okay, I know that someone probably has already done so and I'm just behind, but if anyone knows of a really good site to follow I'd love a recommendation. I just don't think I can sit through another evening of CCN or Fox News. They just make me want to scream!

Was I okay with the results? Well, to be honest, I think so although I have to say that the more I listen to McCain the more he sounds like Richard Nixon, which isn't an entirely bad thing, but it is a bit weird when you listen to the guy.

I'm still not certain who I will support at the end of the day, but Edwards is starting to grow on me and I plan to investigate his proposals in more detail over the coming weeks. I can't imagine voting for a Republican, at least not any of the ones currently running. I think they need some time in the penalty box and four years sounds just about right from my perspective.

Barack has to come up with something more concrete than hope if he is going to attract the moderate conservatives...........I'm well passed the time when brilliant public speaking alone qualifies a candidate for the White House.......tell me what you are going to do. What are your 3 to 5 Key Performance Indicators for the first six months that you are in office and then I'll tell you if I'll support your efforts to get elected. No one has really done that as yet. Yea, I know, he is going to get us out of Iraq. Sure he is and that pink elephant flying over the sky at the moment is just as real; i.e.: what are your realistic targets for the first six months?

Anyway, Hillary surprised the hell out of everyone I think and in a lot of ways I'm pleased that she is still well in the hunt. I think she raises real issues and while I'm not a fan nor do I expect to support her bid for the oval office, I do like the debate she creates and after all, I did vote for her husband a couple of times despite my otherwise Republican soul. Hillary is good for this election and I'm personally delighted that she remains in contention.

Hell, even Ron Paul got 8% last night. A true dark horse if ever there was one!

Finally, I'm off to a Hawks Game this evening. They have lost four in a row and primarily due to the guy center in the today's picture; i.e.: Mike Woodson, my nomination for the worst coach in the NBA at the moment. Why? Because he can't win! Lots of talent and no excuses this year and he still can't win.....not the games he is suppose to win, not the close ones he should win, and with the exception of one or two games early in the season he isn't pulling off any upsets either. The Hawks are headed back to the cellar and the good Lord knows that I'm not looking forward to the ride. Of course, I still have the advantage in that the Cowboys are still in the show unlike those Steelers and Redskins fans. (Yea!)

No comments: