Thursday, October 11, 2007

Exceptional Selling

"Exceptional Selling, How the Best Connect and Win in High Stakes Sales" is a wonderful book by Jeff Thull, Author of "Mastering the Complex Sale". I had an opportunity to revisit his book this morning when I was trying to articulate a point to a colleague about "good enough" versus "remarkable" We all know that Seth Godin constantly stresses the importance of being "remarkable", but do we really incorporate that concept into our daily management focus? I mean, do we look at what we produce in the context of "is that remarkable", or do we just allow the pace and urgency of our daily work lives to influence us to allow "good enough" to pass us by and get released, posted on our web site, sent to our customers, printed as a brochure, etc. Why isn't "good enough" good enough? Why does everything have to be "remarkable"? After all, remarkable is darn hard and if one is pressed with a commitment to produce/release by X date, then isn't "good enough" going to get us there and we can always do "remarkable" the next time?

I guess I'm old fashioned - or perhaps new fashioned........I'm not really certain. I just know instinctively that "good enough" isn't going to win in today's market and that while being "remarkable" is indeed difficult and it is unlikely that you will achieve it every time, striving for "remarkable" should always be the target and that you should never accept less from anyone including yourself.

Okay, that was my one key thought for the day. Now go back to work and have fun!

No comments: